Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Arroz con Pollo

Tonight's dinner was made at Dream Dinners and put in my freezer. Can't get much easier than that. It was delicious and we all liked it, so next time I will make it myself. Some tweeks next time will be a different salsa and add some saffron. And some more corn. I found the recipe in my Dream Dinner's cookbook, so I'm likely breaking copywrite laws here, but I'll put my tweeks in the below to make it more mine.

Arroz con Pollo

1 cup uncooked white rice
1 15-oz can black beans, drained
1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (not cob, duh)
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa
1 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 cup scallions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1 pinch saffron (crumbled)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Spray on 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Prepare the rice according to the package directions. Spread the rice over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Layer the beans, corn, and chicken over the rice and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the chicken broth, salsa, marinara sauce, bell pepper, scallion, cilantro, cumin and garlic and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture in equal amounts over the chicken in the baking dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake additional 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment